Monday, February 22, 2010

Boys Will Be Boys...

Well, here in Roanoke the snow is slowly melting, and the sun is actually shining! The past two days have been nothing short of gorgeous: 50 degrees, sun shining with no clouds in sight. The only thing missing? A dry, clear, non-snow covered ground! Though it is wet, muddy, and slushy, I have been able to play some with the ponies. I went out and played day before yesterday (Saturday) with Woody and Charlotte a bit.
I first haltered Charlotte in hopes of hopping on and working on some simple riding concepts (tuning up stopping, turning completely through, and back up with the thought) and we did precisely that for a little bit. I rode her maybe for fifteen minutes under the overhang bareback, but I still feel like we got some good things going. We worked on stop, go, stop, back up, go, etc. for a while, and then I hopped off. I just needed a little riding time, since I hadn't ridden in, oh, I don't know, A MONTH.
I next threw hay out for them, thinking that was it for the day (the sun was beginning to set), but then I changed my mind and decided to spend some time with Woody on his back while he ate. I mounted up quickly and just hung out for a while on his back. Then I remembered something I had been meaning to do with him...
Back several months ago I posted about my finesse lesson with Terrie and mentioned that Woody's back was a little sore. I also said that I would look into some saddle pads that could help with that. When we went to the Kathleen Lindley clinic, Mom talked to her about saddle pads and she suggested the Barnsby saddle pad. It has cushioning on the top half of the pad where the saddle lays, and it has a grip-like texture on the bottom that serves as an anti slip mechanism. Mom bought one for Charlotte because her saddle tends to slip, and I decided to try it out to see if it could be the solution to our problem. So, at Liberty, I tacked Woody up in his saddle and pad, tightened the girth, and mounted up. The anti slip surface worked well when I mounted, and the cushioning seemed to help because he had absolutely no ugly face or even raising of the neck when I mounted. I will post pictures later of the saddle and pad on him, but I certainly liked it and plan on looking into buying one for myself.

Yesterdays session was a bit different. I went out in the hopes of tacking Woody up again and taking him for a walk with the saddle on, but when I went out he didnt want much to do with me. Teddy on the other hand was all over me, practically begging for me to play with him. So I did. I took the lead rope I had in my hand and played Friendly with it on his back and such. then wrapped it around his neck and practiced leading by the neck. I would walk, and he would walk, but then when I stopped, he would often keep going past me. At this point I would start shaking the rope, bumping on his neck, and Teddy being the overreactor he is, would immediately back up. I'd give him a minute and rub him, then ask again. He catches on SO quickly, which is a quality I love about him. Soon he was turning both ways, walking, stopping, and backing with me and the rope around his neck. I gave him a good scratching and took the rope off his neck.
I then went to get Woody. I approached him, and he sniffed the halter and walked off. I waited there a minute, then walked after him, approaching him again. I must admit, I wasn't really sure of what to do in this situation, because I don't want to force him and have him stand there with that grumpy look on his face while I halter him, but I also want him to know that I'm important and we have a specific job to do that is very important as well. So after following him around for a while, he came up to me, put his head down to start eating, and my knee went up so he hit himself in my knee. He then allowed me to put the rope around his neck, and of we went.
I basically set out to do the same thing I did with Teddy. I asked him to walk forward, and almost immediately I was met with a flying head that was trying to wiggle his way out of the rope. I continued to ask forward, and when he let go of that punk idea and went forward, I released. My goal in this excercise was to be unemotional toward him. To laugh at him instead of getting frustrated. I think I aacomplished that goal, because I never got angry at him or frustrated about the situation. I let him figure it out, and hung out and waited until he did. For instance, at one point he started turning away from me toward the fence (sort of like an on-the-ground version of his pushing through the hakamore and running off), and I waited there for him, witht he feel on the rope asking him to come my way as he did whatever he felt necessary to do. He eventually let go of that thought and came my way, and I immediately released. He only did this three times (surprisingly) before he would turn with me when I asked him to, and that's where we ended.
All in all, for not having consistent play sessions, he is doing fine. Teddy is also doing very well and has truly come a long way (me being able to throw the rope over his back at Liberty? Talk about a miracle!) I am very pleased with my boys.
~Eden

No comments: