Monday, March 1, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me!


Yesterday, February 28th, was my 17th birthday!! We started off the day early, having cake for breakfast, and opening presents. I had a very horsey birthday this year, as always. My first gift was the Live UK Celebration DVD from my mom, since we couldn't make it to Lakeland last year to see it ourselves. Also, I was given a piece of paper with a printed email that read "Your Free Horsenality Report Is Ready!" (meaning the horsenality report that we got with our higher membership of the Savvy Club was available). Also, my parents got me all 4 of the New Parelli Levels, and they look really great! I also got a license plate for my car the had "horse enthusiast" engraved on it, how awesome!! I got several other nice gifts, but those were the horsey highlights!

After church yesterday, my parents and I went to hear Anne Compton speak at the Hotel Roanoke, and after we had a wonderful lunch, we went back home. I got all bundled up, and decided to brave the cold to see my ponies!
Woody greeted me with a whinny, and after I rubbed on him some, I went to get his halter. When I approach him to halter, he keeps his attention on me really nicely, but when I get around to his neck, he has gotten into the pattern of walking off. Ordinarily I would stop him from walking off, and continue to halter him, but I recently I have begun to wonder if that is more or less forcing him to submit to me, not necessarily him willingly being ok with the situation. So, yesterday, I approached him, he walked off, and I backed away from him and started slapping my leg with the lead rope, attempting to get his attention back. He kept walking away, even quicker, and I kept slapping, NOT chasing him, just walking around, trying to draw his attention back to me. Soon he wheeled around, looked me up really nicely, and I stoped slapping and smiled. I then approached him, and if his attention wandered as I approached, I'd stop, move to the side, and slap, waiting for him to look me up again. I would then pet his face and just stand there, holding the halter, with his attention solely on me. He blew, and yawned a bit, and I knew he was beginning to feel good about this. I walked around him, rubbedhim some, and after a while, I haltered him. He ws very willing, and when his attention would wander I'd do something to get his attention back, then stop when he returned to me.
After he was haltered I led him back to the under the overhang, and as I led I demanded he keep with my pace. We were going somewhere, and we had something to do. Because of that, he had a nice, soft look on his face with his ears up. I picked out his feet, the whole time being aware of where his attention was and asking for him to keep focused on me. I then played with him with taking his thought places, but not necessarily his feet. Then I would occassionally ask for the feet as well, and I'd get it willingly. This whole time I remained soft, but not limp; meaning I asked politely and softly, but I always made sure I got what I was looking for and that he felt ok about it. It was a very different feeling, but definitely in a good way. I released him, and he stayed right by me, with his head down by my knees. That was a really cool moment, and I fee like he felt as good about the work we did as I did.

I next haltered Teddy, which went well, played some Friendly with the rope (I am now able to be clumsy with the rope and him not worry at all!), and played with the stall. I have never asked him to go in one of our stalls, so I went in the stall, and would gradually ask for him to come in. He had some issues with it at first, but I just patiently kept asking him to come closer, and releasing when he did. He was very brave, and he was able to come completely in the stall, turn around, and watch the world from inside the open stall. He had a lot of big licks and chews, and was snorting non-stop. He had one really big yawn, and in general seemed really trusting and ok with what I was asking. He worked through some stuff and really did nicely.

Up next was Charlotte. I approached her with her halter, she sniffed it, and as I approached her neck to halter her, she left as she very often does. I decided I was going to take the time it took to solve this issue, so I began doing what I did with Woody. When I lost her attention, I would slap my leg, not approaching her or directing my energy AT her, but I was folowing her. When she would look, I would stop, and start trying to sprach her softly. At this point she would often leave again, sometimes with attitude, shaking her head, trying to fly pst me, bucking, etc. I remained patient and laughed at her antics, but continued to ask for her attention. She woud give it to me, but it was almost like she HAD to look away, she couldn't be there for that long, she couldn't trust me. She then got the whole herd involved and they began circling the track, trying to escape me and the situation I was posing. I would meet her on the other side of the track, still slapping my leg, waiting for her to give me attention. She would, I'd stop, she'd get sidetracked, I'd slap, she'd take off. I would then meet her on the other side of the track, and repeat the process. She ran around and around about 4 or 5 times, and finally, when they all started to come off adrenaline and blow their noses, she looked at me. I stopped. I approached, and she stayed focused on me. I was able to pet her face with her staying focused, and she allowed me to stand parallel to her, stroking her neck, as she stood, snorting and ok with the situation. I walked off, thinking that was a good end to our session, and she walked off with me, following me. Cool! All in all, every one of the horses did amazing yesterday with big changes, I myself worked with them very well and felt good about what I presented. It was definitely an awesome birthday experience, and my birthday was very enjoyable and, so far, I'm loving being 17!
~Eden

2 comments:

Naturally Gaited said...

Happy Birthday, Eden!!

Clare

inchwormwv said...

Happy Birthday Girl!