Thursday, March 18, 2010

Play Time x 6

Well this past weekend my mom went out of town, and the weather was BEAUTIFUL. So, I made the most of it and played with all three horses on both Saturday AND Sunday. I had 6 sessions in two days. Whew!

I started off the first day with Charlotte and mainly just had the intention of getting her out of the pasture, stretching her legs, and working on her ground skills in general. She was very forward and excited to go, so we trotted in hand quite a bit. Once she had released some of that energy, I gave her a couple things to do: weave in between these trees, touch that rock, etc., all the while being very specific. She did very well, and she really enjoyed getting the chance to go and explore.

Next I haltered the two trouble-makers oops! I mean innocent little geldings (or so they want me to think), and headed out with both of them. This, in and of itself, was quite a challenge. I say this because a) Teddy, the pot-stirrer, always makes his top priority to annoy Woody. He will go out of his way to bite him on the butt, and then run away as quickly as he can. And also, b) Woody feels the need to return the favor to Teddy, but also makes sure that Teddy knows Woody is has authority over him. I am really having to work on letting Woody letting go of his status as alpha in their herd of three when I work with both of them together, but we're getting there.
Anyways, after a bit of practice in the pasture, leading them both and keeping both of them focused on me rather than nipping at each other, I took em out. We had to wait for a bit for my dad to come on our walk with us, but after a quick photo-op (the pictures above), we were all set. My dad led Teddy as I took Woody in the lead. We had a nice, quick, and relaxing walk out, and my dad got to practice leading both horses (separately, we switched half way through). I returned them to the pasture, and I called it the end of a good day.

Sunday I started with Charlotte again, and after working through a bit of bridling resistance, I mounted up bareback and we went for a quick ride. We went around the house and down the driveway, and again I allowed her to trot quite a bit because she was rarin' to go. And again, after giving her tasks, she relaxed and toned it down a bit. We had a nice ride, and I got to practice that bareback sitting trot that is slowly improving.
I got Teddy next, put him on the 22' rope (first time) and took him on out. He was really great, calm, curious, and with me in the beginning, but I think I pushed him a bit too soon to walk through some brush from a longer distance away than he was used to, and he got a little worried. I sat and waited for him to calm it down again (he was very mild; he wasn't bouncing all around or anything), and he eventually snorted and blew a bunch. We went to the hayfield up a big bank, and after waiting on him to have the confidence to come up, he blew and blew some more. The key to him is waiting and NOT pushing him too much and too far. I put him back after that, and I was really proud of him during that session.
I played with Woody after wards, and took him out on the 22 also, wanting to take him to the hayfield and let him stretch his legs a bit. He was really great on the way out, and he overall was very responsive and motivated on the circles. I haven't asked him to circle in who knows how long, so he walked, trotted, cantered, bucked, and did transitions and bring backs all very nicely. The hayfield is right next to the Blue Ridge Parkway, and as all the cars went by, they all slowed down to take a look at my pretty boy. He was flaunting off his awesomeness (or so he'd like to think) for everyone by bucking around and cantering beautifully with his tail flagged. He is definitely a looker that one. 

~Eden

No comments: