Monday, March 29, 2010

My First Visit to the Horse Center!

Well this past weekend was the weekend of the Parelli Tour Stop in Lexington, VA at the VA Horse Center. A big group of my horse friends got together and sat together, and we had a really nice time getting to see each other again. As for the event itself.... to be quite on honest the first day, officially labeled "Share Parelli day," was just as it sounded. The highlight of the day for me was the 45 minute sessions Linda had with Remmer showing what they could do. Though there were some problems with the session (Linda preaching about gaining respect from her horse as her horse walks around at Liberty running his shoulder almost into her and frisking her for cookies), I really enjoy watching them together. Following that session there was a demonstration by the mastery students, and another session of Pat walking his horse around and talking about the future of Parelli.
I must have heard the phrase "this is all in our program" or something similar to that about 25 times. The whole first day was a perpetual infomercial advertising their program. I was really disappointed they didn't play with a troubled, non-Parelli horse like they have in the past, and Mom and I actually left during Pat's session because it was very repetitive and he has a tendency to say the same phrases and make the same points over and over.
When we left, we jetted over to the HUGE Dover Outlet right across the street to shop. Who could resist a massive Dover store? I know I couldn't. I ended up buying my first pair of breeches in about 4 years, and Mom bought a new helmet. I am in need of a new headstall for Woody simply because the one he wears now is tight around his ears and very cheaply made. I didn't find any black, non-ridiculously expensive dressage bridle there, but I will be making a trip to Sheperd's here in town to buy a new headstall and maybe some matching leather reins.

The second day, "Savvy Club Sunday," was better than the previous day. Once again. I really enjoyed the session's involving Linda, which was a lesson on the ground with a woman and her horse, and a dressage lesson with Remmer. The dressage concepts she was talking about sounded very cool and she demonstrated some extension and collection with Remmer, along with flying changes and passage. Oh my gosh, that horse could not have looked any more beautiful (well, unless he were barefoot and trimmed properly).

All in all, the weekend was fun for fellowship with my horse friends, and I also met a number of new horse people who were very nice. I cannot tell you how many people can up to me and said "are you Eden? I am so impressed with you and Woody, you are an inspiration, I love your blog!" These were not random people, mind you, but friends of Terrie's with whom she had shared my blog address. I am so happy this blog is an inspiration to people, and I it's hard for me to understand that my journey and story is so important to so many people, but I guess that's what happens when you surround yourself with supportive, like minded people!

~Eden

1 comment:

Naturally Gaited said...

Hey Eden -

I'm glad that you made it there. I saw your mom during a break and somehow never got to say hi to you in person!

I, too, missed them playing with a non-Parelli demo horse. And it would have been really cool if they could have filled the down time in the arena (breaks, etc.) with student spotlights. Maybe next time?

See ya,

Clare